Installing the NVidia, COLLADA, and Ogre Plugins
Sirikata requires a number of plugins in order for your content to be imported into the engine. Instead of supporting multitudes of file types, these plugins allow for us to ensure that there is a standard way of creating content for Sirikata so that everything is uniform, making it easier to pinpoint problems (should there be any).
Installing the NVidia .dds file format plugin for Photoshop 32-bit
- Go the NVidia plugin page and download the latest version.
- Once you have downloaded the plugin, follow the on screen instructions for installation.
- You will be asked to choose a folder for installation. It will use the default Adobe directory. If you have installed Photoshop anywhere else, please change it accordingly.
- Finish the installation and open Photoshop. Go to File > New and create a new, blank document.
- Go to File > Save As… and choose D3D/DDS (*.DDS). If you see this option, that means the installation of the plugin was successful.
Troubleshooting for NVidia .dds plugin
- The plugin does not work with 64-bit versions of Photoshop. If you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you will need to install the plugin for the 32-bit version of Photoshop, installed by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe.
- If you cannot choose .DDS from the Save As… menu, the plugin may not have been installed properly. Go to your Photoshop folder, normally located at C:\Program Files\Adobe, or C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe for Windows 64-bit, and open your Photoshop directory. Go to Plug-ins and then File Formats. Inside this director you should see a list of files with the extension .8BI. You should see the file dds.8BI. If not, run the installer again and make sure you install to the right directory (the installer wants the root directory of Photoshop, so always install to there: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CSX).
Installing COLLADA for 3ds Max 9 32-bit
- Download COLLADA for 3ds Max 9. Under the dropdown menu COLLADAMax 1.4.1 plug-ins, choose ColladaMax_FREE_3.05C.exe. When you open this file, it should automatically find your 3ds Max 9 file folder.
- Follow the on screen instructions. You will be prompted to choose if you want to install the plugin for more than one version of Max. You may install as many options as you want as long as the plugin is installed for 3ds Max 9.
- Open 3ds Max and go to File > Import. You should be able to choose “COLLADA (*.DAE, *.XML)” under the file type options.
Installing COLLADA for Maya
- Download OpenCOLLADA for Maya. Under the dropdown menu OpenCOLLADA 1.2.2 plug-ins, choose 32bit. When you open this file, it should automatically find your Maya folder.
- Follow the on screen instructions. You will be prompted to choose if you want to install the plugin for more than one version of Max. You may install as many options as you want as long as the plugin is installed for your version of Maya.
- Open Maya and go to File > Export Selected. You should be able to choose “COLLADA” under file type options.